Monday, February 6, 2012





Cavernous Holes

After our critique of concepts, it was suggested that I find a way to combine the carving method of 7 voids with puncturing as a way to create a new perception of the book. I am not sure what I want the 7 gables to be perceived as. Is it the solid page or the voided section that reads as the gable? I think that I do want this ambiguity to exist so that the viewer can decide. I also am unsure as to whether there should be two sets of voids or just one. In the initial diagramming of carving by puncturing I had the punctures running both perpendicular and parallel to the spine. The issue I run into with trying to carve in both directions is that the voids running parallel to the spine do not read as strongly as the voids running perpendicularly. Perhaps then there are suggestions of two lines of void but the ones parallel to the spine are not as defined as the perpendicular lines . I also wonder whether the cover should be carved and in what way? Additionally, should the voided sections reach entirely through the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment