Monday, February 6, 2012

Covers

I am wondering what is the best way to present my book . I want there to be a process of discovery for the reader. The cover, I feel should invite the critique to pick up the book and look at it because of a curiosity as to what is happening inside. The cover then becomes important. What makes a person pick up one book as opposed to another? The cover should also suggest what is to come either by way of text or graphics. How then do I want to alter the cover so that this curiosity is achieved. One idea is the cut one long stripe in the front cover that reveals the voided and solid sections inside. I wonder, though, if cutting a parallel strip goes too much against the perpendicular language that is happening in the book. Another idea is to cut seven marks into the book running in the same direction as the strips already created in the pages. Perhaps two of the strips align with a void that is already in the page so that in one moment there is a hole that penetrates entirely through the book. Also, in what way can I present the book so that it is not on display but rather available to the reader?

2 comments:

  1. my vote is on cutting some mark(s) or mark(ers) on the cover that are in line (parallel) to what happens beneath them (beneath the cover) in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. What about the display of the book? I want the book to be picked up and investigated not just looked at? Would pairing my book with plainer books on a mock up shelf be something to consider? What I mean making the suggestion to want to choose that book without suggesting too much... one of these thing is not like the other sort of thing. A want to see what is in the book because the cover suggests something different. I dont know if that makes sense or not.

      Delete