Sunday, February 5, 2012



Empty Space: Books, Paper, Scissors

Our first assignment for the studio is to take a given book, interpret its meaning, and redesign how the book is perceived based on that interpretation. By means of representation we are to dissect, analyze and explain what the central condition of the book is. We are to propose and execute by means of carving the book to reveal that central condition.

The book I received is the House of Seven Gables. Its a really nice book...has a good weight, the size is just right, thicker pages, and the smell has that old book smell. I almost don't want to cut it up and feel bad to have to sacrifice such a beautiful work. I don't think my book wants to be cut up either. While flipping through its pages I found left over on the inside of the cover a rule from the library it previously belonged to.

The rule (and the only rule left too) states "Every person shall make good whatever damage is sustained by a book while standing in his or her name, and the Librarian may, at his discretion, refuse each individual any use of the Library until this is done". I think my book is threatening me.

No comments:

Post a Comment